Will the groundhog see his shadow this year? Will there be six more weeks of winter or will Punxsutawney Phil predict and early spring? The answers to these question will be revealed on February 2nd!
Do you know about these five fun facts about Groundhog Day?
1. Groundhogs are also called woodchucks.
2. Groundhogs live in burrows.
3. Punxsutawney Phil is a special groundhog that lives in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
4. On Groundhog Day hundreds of people gather together at Gobbler Hill in Pennsylvania to celebrate Punxsutawney Phil.
5. Groundhog Day was the idea of a Pennsylvania newspaper editor, in 1887, who claimed the groundhog was the only true weather forecaster.
Grab a book or more from this excellent list by Victoria at ABC Creative Learning, Where Ideas Bloom and learn all about Punxsutawney Phil. And then make a prediction about the weather. Will Phil see his shadow and run back inside his burrow for six more weeks of winter weather or will he stay outside and play knowing that spring is on it’s way?